Saturday, May 1, 2010

10.5 TB of Awesomeness


I took a quick drive to my office at 7am this morning, RAID Controller in hand, just to make sure the nVidia 790 chipset would accept the card, and sure enough it does.

Spent the morning at my Mate's place, saw Iron Man 2 (pretty awesome!) and then went to pick up my new Motherboard, CPU and RAM! I'm very happy with the final result!

The array turned out to be 10.5 TB, equaling around 9.7TB of usable space after the 1024/1000 conversion.

I ran a HDTach Long test on the RAID Array, averaged around 260MB/Second sustained throughput, with a peak of 360MB/Second burst, pretty respectable I think!

Couple of things I forgot about, firstly, I had to acquire a copy of Windows 7 64-bit edition to handle the 8gb of RAM, I also needed a spare HDD to donate itself for a day or two so I can get the data off my existing 1.5TB Seagates.

I had to take a quick drive back to IJK this afternoon to pick up an eSATA dock, so that I could transfer all my existing "linux isos" from my existing drives.
Once the data is off those and on to the RAID array, I'll be able to reinstall Windows 7, hopefully for the last time in a very long while.

I'm extremely happy with my video performance, my GTX275 runs MUCH better with the "Full High Definition Linux ISOs" which I couldn't play before. All other media runs even better than I expected. I can't wait to jump in to Modern Warfare 2 and the likes to check it all out!

Currently, I have a lot of file copying ahead of me which should be fun, and I also need to look for a home for my old Case, Motherboard, CPU, and RAM:
Antec Case (big good one)
Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
4GB of Corsair DDR400
Needs, PSU, HDD, VGA and DVD-RW to be usable... Might give it to "The Boss" as a workstation if I can cobble together the parts I need to make it whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment